University of St Andrews Rugby Club
Founded in 1858, the University of St Andrews Rugby Football Club is one of the oldest sports clubs at the University and is the sixth oldest rugby club in the world.
The club is a founder member of the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) and has been an integral part of the University for 160 years.
In 1871 in the first international between Scotland and England at Raeburn Place, three St Andrews students, A Clunies-Ross, R Munro and J S Thomson represented Scotland, showing the importance of the club at that time.
The club has gone on to produce over 25 international rugby players who between them have gained 150 international caps, including four British & Irish Lions and eight players who have represented the Barbarians.
“If ‘carrying’ was initiated at Rugby, ‘passing’, the great feature of the back game, came from St Andrews.” Christopher Nicolson Johnston
Saints Rugby caters for members of all levels; from beginners new to the game through to scholars within the University performance rugby programme.
The club currently supports 4 competitive men’s squads, competitive and development squads within the women’s programme and a touch rugby section.
Find out more
St Andrews Rugby 7s Tournament
Since its inception in 1970, the St Andrews Seven-a-side Rugby Tournament has grown to become one of the top 7s tournaments in the Scottish rugby calendar and the largest student run 7s in the UK.