Saints Rugby Programme
The University of St Andrews has developed the most advanced Rugby program in Scotland which offers student athletes a range of coaching, training and support opportunities, allowing them to excel in their sporting achievements. Sport at St Andrews fosters a healthy relationship between athlete and student. The results are undeniable: our athletes graduate with a world class education and national and international sporting success. With excellent facilities, a Full time Director of Rugby and a club history steeped in the foundations of the game, there is nowhere better in Scotland.
DIRECTOR OF RUGBY
The University’s appointment of a Director of Rugby is the 1st of its kind in Scottish University Sport. David Ross is the only full time Director of Rugby at a Scottish University and one of only two full time Directors in Scotland (outside of the professional game). David comes to St Andrews after nearly 4 years working as a Performance Development Manager for the Scottish Rugby Union. This role focused on identifying and developing the next wave of Age Grade International and professional players in Scotland.
A UKCC Level 3 coach, and Scotland U18 Backs coach during their 09 summer tour, David is now the Head Coach of the Scottish Students XV and was in the coaching staff of the Scottish Universities 7s team who won the Home Nations Tournament in 2010 defeating England in the final. David is also an IRB Trainer, UKCC Senior Trainer, UKCC Coach Educator and is part of Scottish Rugby’s High Performance Coaching Group.
UNIVERSITY PARK – CARNEGIE PLAYING FIELDS
The rugby pitches at University Park in St Andrews are renowned across the country as amongst the finest in Scotland. The 1st XV pitch, overlooked by a listed 200 seater stand, was recently resized to match the dimensions of the pitch at Murrayfield, ready for the Scotland Squad’s annual training camp. A fully floodlit training pitch is complemented by the new fully floodlit Rugby 4g pitch, boasting room for up to 100 spectators and one of only two in Scotland.
The fitness facilities at the University of St Andrews are among the best in Scotland, boasting a range of equipment that will meet the needs of most fitness enthusiasts and sports professionals alike. With over 40 pieces of cardiovascular equipment, a free weights room, a fixed weights room, as well as a dedicated core and stretch room, it is the ideal location to workout.
Rugby Union Programme
The Rugby program caters for all levels of ability to ensure all players experience an athlete centred rugby curriculum which focuses on development, hard work and enjoyment.
Gym: Monday’s 8:30 – 10:30, Saturday’s 9:00-11:00.
Practice: Monday 17:30-19:00, Tuesday 17:30-19:00 (for 3rd and 4th XV), Friday 18:30-20:00
- Individual position specific technical sessions
- Rugby specific strength and conditioning sessions supervised by S/C Department
- Weekly video analysis sessions focusing on both individual and team performance
- Series of educational seminars to improve performance – including nutrition, recovery, psychology, time management
- Physiotherapy support
- Regular fitness testing to monitor progress and identify weaknesses
- Competitive fixtures for all levels of ability throughout the season
- Two week full time pre-season training camp
- Participate in SUS 7s and local 7s competitions
- Biggest student 7s competition in the UK – St Andrews Rugby 7s
- Large number of social activities throughout the season
- A program that focuses on the process not the outcome – the outcome will take care of itself