Saints Rugby Programme
The University of St Andrews has developed the most advanced Rugby programme in Scotland which offers student athletes a range of coaching, training and support opportunities, allowing them to excel in their sporting achievements. Sport at St Andrews fosters a healthy relationship between athlete and student. The results are undeniable: our athletes graduate with a world class education and national and international sporting success. With excellent facilities, a Full time Director of Rugby and a club history steeped in the foundations of the game, there is nowhere better in Scotland.
DIRECTOR OF RUGBY
The University’s appointment of a Director of Rugby was the first of its kind in Scottish University Sport. Scott Lawson is the only full time Director of Rugby at a Scottish University and the only full time Director in Scotland (outside of the professional game).
Scott was appointed Director of Rugby at the University of St Andrews after an extensive international career playing for Scotland. He joined the University from Newcastle Falcons, bringing a wealth of experience playing Premiership rugby for over a decade.
Scott started his rugby career at Biggar RFC, before earning a professional contract at Glasgow Warriors, spending four seasons playing in the Pro12 before a move to the Premiership, spending a season with Sale before moving to Gloucester Rugby for four years. He is a vastly experienced former Scotland international with 47 caps, which include a try-scoring performance in his team’s opening match of the 2007 Rugby World Cup while also appearing in the 2011 tournament.
In addition to his playing commitments with Newcastle Falcons, Scott was Director of Rugby at National Two North Club Tynedale RFC, having previously been an Elite Specialist Skills Coach with Scottish Rugby.
UNIVERSITY PARK – CARNEGIE PLAYING FIELDS
The rugby pitches at University Park in St Andrews are renowned across the country as amongst the finest in Scotland. The 1st XV pitch, overlooked by a listed 200 seater stand, was recently resized to match the dimensions of the pitch at Murrayfield, ready for the Scotland Squad’s annual training camp. A fully floodlit training pitch is complemented by the new fully floodlit Rugby 4g pitch, boasting room for up to 100 spectators and one of only two in Scotland.
Completed in December 2016, the dedicated Performance Suite provides a private space for our performance teams and athletes to train undisturbed away from our regular gym users. Featuring five lifting stations, a three-lane plyometric track, a throws wall and a designated ‘rehab zone’, the new Performance Suite also offers video analysis technology.
For a more detailed look at our gym facilities, check out here.
Rugby Union Programme
The Rugby programme caters for all levels of ability to ensure all players experience an athlete centred rugby curriculum which focuses on development, hard work and enjoyment.
Monday: 17:00-19:00 (1st & 2nd XVs)
Tuesday: 16:00-18:00 (3rd & 4th XVs)
- Individual position specific technical sessions
- Rugby specific strength and conditioning sessions supervised by S/C Department
- Weekly video analysis sessions focusing on both individual and team performance
- Series of educational seminars to improve performance – including nutrition, recovery, psychology, time management
- Physiotherapy support
- Regular fitness testing to monitor progress and identify weaknesses
- Competitive fixtures for all levels of ability throughout the season
- Three week full time pre-season training camp
- Participate in SUS 7s and local 7s competitions
- Biggest student 7s competition in the UK – St Andrews Rugby 7s
- Large number of social activities throughout the season
- A programme that focuses on the process not the outcome – the outcome will take care of itself